The great British preacher C. H. Spurgeon explained the Christian faith in four words, "Christ died for me."
1. Everyone who believes is saved by the power of the gospel of Christ.
- “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.” - Romans 1:16.
- Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me." - John 14:6
- For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord. - Romans 6:23
- The Gospel transcends race, gender, class, age, nations, and politics.
- The Gospel is Good News for all people, all places and for all times.
- The Gospel is the only hope for a hopeless world.
2. The earliest written statement of the Gospel in the New Testament is found in 1 Cor. 15:1-5.
- This is a rhythmic creed, originally in Aramaic, and dated by scholars within a few months of Christ’s death and resurrection. “I declare to you the gospel…by which you are saved…that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scripture, and that He was seen by Cephas, then by the twelve.”
3. Gospel means, “Good News!”
- Gospel is a term used over 75 times in the New Testament.
- According to the Evangelical Dictionary of Theology, "The gospel is the joyous proclamation of God's redemptive activity in Christ Jesus on behalf of man enslaved by sin."
4. The Gospel in one Short Statement
- “This is the gospel. The just and loving Creator of the universe has looked upon hopelessly sinful people and sent His Son, God in the flesh, to bear His wrath against sin on the cross and to show His power over sin in the resurrection so that all who trust in Him will be reconciled to God forever.” - David Platt, Radical
5. The Gospel is Mankind’s Greatest Need.
- “If God had perceived that our greatest need was economic, he would have sent an economist. If he had perceived that our greatest need was entertainment, he would have sent us a comedian or an artist. If God had perceived that our greatest need was political stability, he would have sent us a politician. If he had perceived that our greatest need was health, he would have sent us a doctor. But he perceived that our greatest need involved our sin, our alienation from him, our profound rebellion, our death; and he sent us a Savior.” - D. A. Carson
6. The Gospel must be believed and recieved by faith in Christ alone. Pray like this...
- "Dear God, I know I’m a sinner, and I ask for your forgiveness. I believe Jesus Christ is Your Son. I believe that He died for my sin and that you raised Him to life. I want to trust Him as my Savior and follow Him as Lord, from this day forward. Guide my life and help me to do your will. I pray this in the name of Jesus. Amen."
- Tell us if you have become a Christ follower at email@example.com